Sunday, August 10, 2008

Squash salad recipe that is perfect for summer

Hey Everyone,

I want to share a recipe I made up with everyone. My family has a beautiful garden this year with tons and tons of yellow squash in it. My step-father had sauteed it as much as he could stand and said he wished he knew of another way to prepare it. While I fixed dinner one night last week I came up with this recipe. Its very simple and fresh and you can add it as a side to your summer meals. I hope you enjoy!


3 yellow squash, sliced & cut into medium thick, bite-sized pieces (chunks)
1 or 2 green bell peppers, diced or cut into strips
1 onion, diced or cut into strips
Zesty Italian dressing
salt & pepper, to taste
1 or 2 dashes of garlic powder
a little red pepper flakes or Cajun seasoning for heat (optional)

Toss the veggies together in a large mixing bowl. Pour enough dressing to coat or maybe a little more over the veggies and add remaining ingredients to taste. Mix together thoroughly. Cover bowl and leave in refrigerator for about 30 min. to an hour to marinate veggies. Serve.

The dish will become a little soggy on the second day but its still good. It will continue down this path of sogginess so you will want to toss the leftovers eventually.

Please feel free to change this recipe in any way you see fit. I think it could work well with other vegetables also (cucumbers, add cherry tomatoes, etc.). Make it your own and enjoy. I'm just excited that I came up with a great side dish after being out of a professional kitchen for a month! Its not restaurant fare but it sure can work for your familia. Salad Girl showed herself again! Maybe I'll come up with a few more good recipes or find some good ones and pass them on in the future.

-Danielle

No comments: